[llvm-dev] RFC: Replace usage of Alias Set Tracker with MemorySSA in LICM

Alina Sbirlea via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 20 13:01:51 PST 2017

Hi,

I wanted to give an update on this topic, as a heads up for what I'd like
the plan to be going forward.

I would like to split the current patch doing the replacement of Alias Set
Tracker (AST) with MemorySSA (D35741 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D35741>)
into more manageable pieces.
(Note, while the current patch is not the prettiest, it covers all the
final functionality. I will rebase this patch on the intermediate patches
planned below.)

A few reasons for the split:
- Preliminary performance results on pathological test cases show that
building MemorySSA as a dependency without using it in LICM (i.e., build
MemorySSA and also build AST!) leads to prohibitively large compile times,
making this a non-option. No surprise here. Hence the flag to enable
MemorySSA will be:
    -> false (do not build MemorySSA, build Alias Set Tracker)
    -> true (build MemorySSA and use it, do not build Alias Set Tracker)
- Doing sink/hoist in LICM with MemorySSA is straight-forward, while
promotion is difficult to tackle.
- Having loop passes preserve MemorySSA is a necessary long term step.
- Easier to review, of course.

Rough next steps:
- Adding MemorySSA as a dependency, to be *built* under a flag in both new
and legacy pass managers.
- With flag enabled, update MemorySSA in LICM, use it to do sink and hoist,
do not do promotion.
- With flag enabled, do promotion, add MemorySSA sets. This piece can later
be replaced, with a different promotion mechanism.
- Update MemorySSA in LoopUnswitch and LoopRotate
- Update MemorySSA in IndVarsimplify, LoopIdiomRecognize, LoopDeletion

Patches coming up soon, and feedback welcome.

Thanks,
Alina