[llvm-dev] getting nowhere with thinLTO

Davis, Alan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 10 09:12:50 PST 2017

Teresa, thanks, that’s helpful.

I discovered the resolution-based API and am now converting to that. I can also see that the summaries are in the bitcode files, via llvm-bcanalyzer.

I hope the llvm-dis support will happen. Also it would be nice if the documentation were more up-to-date. But this will definitely help get me moving again.

For whatever reason in this simple example t3 is not being inlined, but I can set that aside for now.

// t2.c:
int t3();

int t2()
{
   if (t3()) return 1;
   else return 0;
}

// t3.c:
int t3()
{
   return 10;
}

% clang -c -O2 -flto=thin t2.c t3.c
% llvm-lto t2.o t3.o --exported-symbol=t2 --thinlto-action=run -debug-only=function-import -thinlto-save-temps=.
Live root: 11079814748834529807
2 symbols Live, and 1 symbols Dead
Computing import for Module 't3.o'
Ignores Dead GUID: 8059958135287337232
Initialize import for 14314392591860533259
Computing import for Module 't2.o'
Initialize import for 11079814748834529807
Import/Export lists for 2 modules:
* Module t3.o exports 0 functions. Imports from 0 modules.
* Module t2.o exports 0 functions. Imports from 0 modules.
Starting import for Module t2.o
Imported 0 functions for Module t2.o
Starting import for Module t3.o
Imported 0 functions for Module t3.o