[llvm-dev] RFC: [X86] Introducing command line options to prefer narrower vector instructions even when wider instructions are available

Craig Topper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 2 21:47:29 PDT 2017

That's a very good point about the ordering of the command line options.
gcc's current implementation treats -mprefer-avx256 has "prefer 256 over
512" and -mprefer-avx128 as "prefer 128 over 256". Which feels weird for
other reasons, but has less of an ordering ambiguity.

-mprefer-avx128 has been in gcc for many years and predates the creation of
avx512. -mprefer-avx256 was added a couple months ago.

We've had an internal conversation with the implementor of -mprefer-avx256
in gcc about making -mprefer-avx128 affect 512-bit vectors as well. I'll
bring up the ambiguity issue with them.

Do we want to be compatible with gcc here?

~Craig