[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Dimitry Andric via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 1 00:47:50 PDT 2017

FWIW, on FreeBSD, the compiler bootstrap path has mostly been to use "ancient" compilers (e.g. gcc 4.2 from before the switch to GPLv3) to build clang and libc++ 3.4.1, the last version that can be built with a pre-C++11 stack.  (This version is available from FreeBSD 9 onwards.)

Then, clang/libc++ 3.4.1 can be used to build later versions, such as 5.0.0.  I'm not sure that 3.4.1 already supports C++14, but it will probably do so partially.

If the requirements are raised to C++17, the bootstrap path will indeed become: ancient compiler -> clang/libc++ 3.4.1 -> clang/libc++ 5.0.0 (or whichever version supports enough of C++17) -> clang/libc++ ToT.

-Dimitry