[llvm-dev] Enable STATISTIC all the time again?

Adam Nemet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 31 13:30:18 PDT 2017

> On May 31, 2017, at 10:57 AM, Matthias Braun via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Last time I measured 0.5%-1% slowdown with statistics enabled in a release build. Also see my last thread about this: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/llvm-dev/xZVBNg5bsSk <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/llvm-dev/xZVBNg5bsSk>
> We also had plans to push statistics (probably newly introduced one rather than retrofitting the existing ones) through the optimization remark system to allow some context like per-function statistics. But there is nothing concrete yet.

And just to elaborate, this originated form the observation that there are many cases where we issue a debug message, emit an optimization remark and also increment a statistic within a few lines of code.  Having a single way of feeding all these use cases would be nice code-readability and usability improvement.

Adam