[llvm-dev] DebugInfo, Metadata usage

DES via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 24 11:39:51 PDT 2017

I'll ask again that question.

Thank you Adrian, I've looked through IR Verifier and it helps me to
understand some parts of retrieving metadata and debug info. But , after
that,  I've faced with another problem:

Original Code:

std::wcout << L"WCHAR_HELLOWORLD" << std::endl;b

IR Code:

@.str.2 = private unnamed_addr constant [17 x i32] [i32 87, i32 67, i32
72, i32 65, i32 82, i32 95, i32 72, i32 69, i32 76, i32 76, i32 79, i32
87, i32 79, i32 82, i32 76, i32 68, i32 0], align 4

For that kind of Constant metadata is empty. The way, I could get
metadata as mentioned in Verifier , is not working for Constants that
are not created as Local Variables. I've tried to get the info via Users
of that Value, but it wasn't working either.

  %call39 = invoke dereferenceable(160)
%"class.std::__1::basic_ostream.13"*
@_ZNSt3__1lsIwNS_11char_traitsIwEEEERNS_13basic_ostreamIT_T0_EES7_PKS4_(%"class.std::__1::basic_ostream.13"*
dereferenceable(160) @_ZNSt3__15wcoutE, i32* getelementptr inbounds ([17
x i32], [17 x i32]* @.str.2, i32 0, i32 0))
          to label %invoke.cont38 unwind label %lpad5, !dbg !5551

I'm digging around Verifier, Metadata, DebugInfo, though, it comes to me
that I miss something

Is it some design decision that isString method does not return TRUE
for wide-character string?

Should I do some additional analysis for constants(like collect meta for
all instructions in all functions and build a map after)?
Who knows sources where I could find some examples dealing with
constants' metadata?

And again, in advance, thank you very much!

the best regards!
0x0859549A