[llvm-dev] bugpoint, LLVM tools (opt, llc, etc), and symbolizing costs

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 23 14:02:15 PDT 2017

test/BugPoint/metadata.ll
Takes about 6 seconds to run if llvm-symbolizer isn't present
13 seconds with debug info
1m30s with split DWARF/Fission

So, couple of things:
1) llvm-symbolizer is /really slow/ on split-dwarf files...
2) Why are stack traces even attempted when using bugpoint? Even if it's
just the 6->13s slowdown, that's still halving the speed of bugpoint in the
presence of llvm-symbolizer+debug info (I didn't test in the presence of
llvm-symbolizer but no debug info)?

It doesn't look like the LLVM tools have any way to disable
symbolization/stack trace/crash handling. Is that correct? Is there a flag
somewhere that I missed?

Would it be worth adding such a flag and passing it from bugpoint to the
various tools it invokes?

(anyone interested in looking at exactly what makes llvm-symbolizer /so/
much slower on split DWARF? I guess that's probably something for me to
look at, really (though I checked that it's at least not due to my recent
changes - but there have been some other refactorings here recently too) -
but figured I'd check)