[llvm-dev] Has anyone here considered using repo for the Git migration?

Ryan Gonzalez via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat May 20 12:33:52 PDT 2017

I'd say the main difference is ease-of-use.

Submodules easily go out-of-sync, so you have to keep running 'git
submodule update'. Sometimes you can accidentally push code in one without
dependent code in the other.

With repo, all that is automatic. 'repo up' will push all "submodules",
'repo sync' pulls from them all, etc. Code is based on branches, not
isolated commits, so there's less confusion, and it's easy to change one
part to one branch in order to test stuff while leaving the others intact.

--
Ryan (ライアン)
Yoko Shimomura > ryo (supercell/EGOIST) > Hiroyuki Sawano >> everyone else

On May 20, 2017 1:58 PM, "Mehdi AMINI" <joker.eph at gmail.com> wrote:

llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:

> https://source.android.com/source/using-repo
>

> It plays well with large projects (heck, it was designed for Android),
> and it works really well.
>
> I'm guessing you guys have already considered it and rejecting it for
> some really smart reason, but I wanted to make sure! ;)

Yes, it was considered, no-one really championed it at the time.
Conceptually I personally don't see any difference with submodules, and in
practice I don't see a killer difference. The main discussion has been
focused on a "submodule" split-repo model vs a monorepo.

--
Mehdi