[llvm-dev] noinline changes between 3.8 and 4.0?

Friedman, Eli via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 19 13:00:41 PDT 2017

On 5/19/2017 12:50 PM, Matthew O'Connor wrote:
> Huh, that appears to do it - preventing `noinline` from showing up on
> defined functions. Thanks.
>
> Out of curiosity, what does that do? And what changed to require this?

-O2 has multiple effects.  The obvious effect is the set of optimization
passes which run, but it also changes the behavior of the frontend.  It
affects the preprocessor (we set a define with the optimization level),
and we change how IR is generated in a few cases.

-disable-llvm-passes disables the optimization passes, but doesn't
affect the other behavior of -O2.

For the change in 4.0 specifically, see https://reviews.llvm.org/D28053 .

-Eli