[llvm-dev] [lld][ELF] Add option to make .dynamic read only

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 17 13:32:39 PDT 2017

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Petr Hosek <phosek at chromium.org> wrote:

> The motivation is not only memory savings but also security:
> can-never-be-written is strictly better than RELRO in all cases. The
> biggest win is when .dynamic is the sole reason for having a writable
> segment at all. The distinction is fairly small for exploitability, but not
> negligible.

I'm not even sure if it is strictly better to make .dynamic read-only by
default is better than relro. It seems almost the same to me. What are
attack scenario you can think of in which you can exploit only when
.dynamic sections are read-only from beginning?

Maybe Fuchsia OS does something special for executable that contain
read-only sections only?

LLD already has several command-line options that are not supported by or
> are different from ld or gold, so this wouldn't be the first one (and
> probably not the last). If LLD supported per-OS configuration, we would
> make this default for Fuchsia and wouldn't need the new option, but since
> these don't exists, it's something we would handle through the Clang driver.

Yes, we have bunch of options that are not supported by GNU linkers,
particularly for LTO. So adding new options is fine as long as doing it
makes sense. But the bar should be higher than implementing compatible
options.

Having no host OS-specific default options in the linker is more like a
feature than a lack of a feature. We rely on compilers to give appropriate
options to us. That makes the linker's behavior more predictable, and it
also makes it very easy to support cross-linking.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 7:12 PM Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev <