[llvm-dev] moving libfuzzer to compiler-rt?

Kostya Serebryany via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 9 14:15:22 PDT 2017

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 1:56 PM, George Karpenkov <ekarpenkov at apple.com>
wrote:

> Again, after offline conversation with Chris Bieneman:
>
>  - move to compiler-rt would be too complicated due to change in licenses
>  - it would make much more sense to move to “tools” folder instead, for
> the following reasons:
>     * conceptually, it’s a tool, not a library
>     * all other projects in “lib” depend on LLVM and can not build without
> LLVM, libFuzzer does not
>     * practically speaking, CMake has no way of knowing whether Clang is
> being built when
>       “lib” is compiled, yet it does know for projects in tools.
>
> Using a freshly built clang for projects in “tools” is embarrassingly easy
> and only requires a couple of lines
> of configuration change.
>
> Kostya, what about moving to “tools” then?

Well, ok, this sounds cool.
But can we make one more step and try to preserve the code where it is, for
the sake of compatibility?
E.g. can we have the CMake in tools while still keeping the code in lib?
Or a link of some kind?

My worry is that there are already quite a few places that know where
libFuzzer code is,
and I don't control all of them.

And, finally, I really don't get why we can do something in tools and can't
do the same in lib.
Or we simply don't want to do it to keep things simple?

--kcc