[llvm-dev] Add more projects into Git monorepo

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 9 09:03:33 PDT 2017

On 9 May 2017, at 16:59, Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if you really read the last sentence of what I wrote, or if you followed the previous discussions on the plan here?
> At this point I believe that this concern is non-existent per the read-only individual repo.

The read-only repo is only useful if you don’t intend to contribute stuff back upstream.  There is no convenient workflow for cloning libunwind / libc++ / libwhatever, hacking on it, and sending pull requests.

> We can leave it there :)
> There have been extensive discussions, a BoF, and documentations, please refer you to these first (granted we haven't really talked about libunwind, but I'm not sure many people will be strongly opposed to libunwind having its separate life).

There have been multiple discussions, and the conclusion from all that I have participated in was that projects that are tightly version locked to LLVM should be in the monorepo, everything else should be separate.  Apparently there is now a plan underway to not do this and to make life harder for people who work on the projects that are not version locked to LLVM.

I am simply repeating the objections that numerous people have made in each of these discussions.

David