[llvm-dev] DWARF Fission + ThinLTO

Adrian Prantl via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 4 17:01:47 PDT 2017

> On May 4, 2017, at 4:53 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Alrighty, a little fuzzy on how best to implement this - Adrian, you've probably got the most context here as to how to wrangle this.
>
> My first attempt was in IRMover.cpp, IRLinker::linkFunctionBody - after metadata is copied over, create a new subprogram derived from Dst.getSubprogram, only changing the CU over (to the first, if any, CU on the llvm.dbg.cu <http://llvm.dbg.cu/> named metadata).
>
> This is insufficient because all the metadata in the function (variables, etc) doesn't get updated and chains up to the old DISubprogram still.

For this part you should be able to reuse the code I'm writing for ConeFunction right now (that can re-parent a function's debug info inside a new DISubprogram). Hopefully I'll have something out for review tomorrow.

> Next attempt was to RAUW the foreign CU with the desired CU, but that fails with "MDNode::replaceAllUsesWith - expected temporary node"

Non-temporary MDNodes don't have RAUW support (this was deemed too expensive). You either need to create them pointing to a temporary node and then rauw the temp node with a distinct node, or you need tot create them already pointing to the right CU. Thankfully only DISubprograms should point to a CU node.

-- adrian