[llvm-dev] Look up table in function section

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 4 12:21:59 PDT 2017

On 5/4/2017 1:51 PM, Tim Northover via llvm-dev wrote:

> It's not usually that useful though: more gadgets to exploit and in
> the RISCy targets I know of you still have to address them as a
> full-on global to ensure they're in range.
>
> If at all possible, I wouldn't recommend going the ARMConstantIslands
> route and putting the tables in the middle of a function. That pass is
> a constant source of bugs.

For us this is to keep the jump table/lookup table in the tightly
coupled memory.  For functions that are not in TCM it doesn't matter
that much, but functions in TCM may suffer a long delay on loads from
non-TCM.  We need to be able to put both tables in the same section as
the function.  The hook you mentioned works for jump tables, but we need
some mechanism to do the same for lookup tables.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation