[llvm-dev] GSOC ThinLTO Proposal

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 31 08:58:04 PDT 2017

> On Mar 31, 2017, at 7:26 AM, Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Charles,
>
> Thanks for your interest in ThinLTO! Sorry for the late response. I agree with Vassil, you can pick the one that is of most interest to you and go ahead and submit a proposal. I think for the two possibilities you discussed with Mehdi, it depends on whether you want to work on performance tuning or not. I'm not sure which type of build statistics Mehdi was suggesting, but likely it is something useful that we are lacking currently!

I think I was following up a discussion I had with Matthias about how all the statistics and the timers in LLVM are global variables and not really suitable for ThinLTO that processes multiple modules in parallel.
We’d thought ideally each ThinLTO backend would hold their own Timers and Statistics context, using a manager that could for instance be registered in the context.

Then having the ability to produce good report about how much time is spent in which modules or where could be useful, as well as how much is inlined compared to how much was predicted (I guess this is mostly polishing / plumbing what Piotr did). We could also have more informations out of the thin-link maybe?

I think the performance work is likely more interesting and easier to manage as a GSOC project. But it requires someone who can work and learn quite independently considering the remote nature of GSOC.

My 2 cents,

—
Mehdi