[llvm-dev] FileCheck feature request- by default ignore IR-"headers"

Keane, Erich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 30 08:57:53 PDT 2017

Hi all-
I hope this is the right place for this.

Anyway, the primary usage for the utility "FileCheck" is to pattern match for specific values in a stream.  This is perfectly consistent and deterministic for the most part!  However, when validating clang's LLVM-IR generation, it is possible to make an invalid match against the top few generated lines (the LLVM-IR Headers), which are inconsistent.

For example (from my personal pain), we have a test: clang/test/CodeGen/debug-info-macro.c  that has a 'check-not' on the word "macros".  Unfortunately, my SVN workspace name was "ms_macros", which gave me a false match.  I'm a bit ashamed to say how long this took me to figure out :)

Anywya, to my feature request: to prevent someone else from going through this pain again, would it be possible to have FileCheck ignore these first 4 lines as default behavior?  I suspect there might be a few tests that would want to validate those headers, though I expect those are the vast minority, so I would think this should be opt in.

-Erich