[llvm-dev] Invoking lld for PE/COFF (Windows) linking

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 29 10:38:37 PDT 2017

If clang is targeting VC++, then -fuse-ld=lld should be enough to make it
run lld-link.exe, and you won't need to set the flavor or do anything
special to get PE/COFF files.

This example worked for me:

$ cat t.cpp
#include <iostream>
int main() { std::cout << "hello world\n"; }

$ clang++ t.cpp -fuse-ld=lld -o t.exe && ./t.exe
hello world

Unfortunately, we don't have a GNU-ld compatible command line interface for
the COFF port of LLD, if that's what you're having trouble with. This is
something I personally think we should add, but don't have time to pursue.