[llvm-dev] Specify special cases of delay slots in the back end

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Mar 19 11:35:20 PDT 2017

   Hello.
     I would like to inform that the implementation I described in the previous email has
some flaws - and I'm not sure if it's really my fault.
     For example, my back end handles correctly data hazards with Store, but not with Load
MachineInstructions.
     More exactly, when I am given as parameter a Load instruction to the getHazardType()
method, and I consider it has a hazard and I return NoopHazard, unfortunately the
HazardRecognizer is not generating a NOP.
     Does the ScoreboardHazardRecognizer class generate a NOP or not, when instructed to,
depending on the type of the instruction analyzed?

     I actually found a (temporary) solution to my problem: I use the PreEmitNoops()
method instead of getHazardType(). So, I'm implementing the following simple behavior in
PreEmitNoops():
          {
           if (isDataHazard(SU))
               return 1;
           return ScoreboardHazardRecognizer::PreEmitNoops(SU);
          }
     I guess this solution would prevent me to change the order of instructions in order
to avoid generating NOPs to fill the delay slots.

     Please let me know your opinion.

   Thank you,
     Alex