[llvm-dev] Saving Compile Time in InstCombine

David Majnemer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 17 18:12:27 PDT 2017

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of this change as-is. The set of transforms
that were added behind ExpensiveChecks seems awfully strange and many would
not lead the reader to believe that they are expensive at all
(the SimplifyDemandedInstructionBits and foldICmpUsingKnownBits calls being
the obvious expensive routines).

The purpose of many of InstCombine's xforms is to canonicalize the IR to
make life easier for downstream passes and analyses.

InstCombine internally relies on knowing what transforms it may or may not
perform. This is important: canonicalizations may duel endlessly if we get
this wrong; the order of the combines is also important for exactly the
same reason (SelectionDAG deals with this problem in a different way with
its pattern complexity field).

Another concern with moving seemingly arbitrary combines under
ExpensiveCombines is that it will make it that much harder to understand
what is and is not canonical at a given point during the execution of the
optimizer.

I'd be much more interested in a patch which caches the result of
frequently called ValueTracking functionality like ComputeKnownBits,
ComputeSignBit, etc. which often doesn't change but is not intelligently
reused. I imagine that the performance win might be quite comparable. Such
a patch would have the benefit of keeping the set of available transforms
constant throughout the pipeline while bringing execution time down; I
wouldn't be at all surprised if caching the ValueTracking functions
resulted in a bigger time savings.