[llvm-dev] [GSoC 2017] Project proposal queries

Radhika via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 15 10:10:13 PDT 2017

Hi,

My name is Radhika Ghosal and I'd like to participate in this year's GSoC
in LLVM. I have been using LLVM for a research project for some time now,
and would love to contribute to it!

Below are the projects I'm interested in and a few questions; please
correct me if I am understanding something incorrectly:

- Code Compaction: [1]
Is it necessary to implement code compaction solely using interprocedural
link-time analyses, or this project may include compile-time optimizations
for size as well? (as in the style of the `-Os` flag in gcc)

I ask because solely using LTO for doing so may restrict us to using the
Gold linker or lld, both of which are still at development stage for
embedded targets like ARM (for lld) and AVR (not included in Gold, may have
lld support in the future), while compile-time optimizations for size may
yield more immediate results.

- Encode Analysis Results in MachineInstr IR: [2]
Does the analysis information have to be encoded within metadata in the
LLVM IR instructions (since the BasicBlock corresponding to the
MachineBasicBlock is always available), or something else must be done? I
am somewhat unsure of what is required, and would like to know more about
the project.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
Radhika