[llvm-dev] Please dogfood LLD

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 14 11:39:22 PDT 2017

Hi all,

LLVM 4.0.0 is out, and I can say that LLD/ELF is now ready for production
use at least for x86-64 (and probably for AArch64 and MIPS). I believe
you've heard a few good news about the linker -- it just works
<http://lld.llvm.org/#features> and is very fast
<http://lld.llvm.org/#performance>, clean, compact and supported by the
active community. I don't think I need to reiterate why having a good
linker is important for us as the LLVM community.

There's one thing you can help us without writing even a line of code.
Please use it!

Using LLD to link LLVM/clang/etc is easy. You need to check out the LLD
repository just like you probably already did for clang, build it, and then
install it. LLD will be installed as ld.lld (and it won't be used by
default.) After that, re-run cmake with -DLLVM_ENABLE_LLD=On along with
your usual options so that LLD will be used to build LLVM.

For the details of the build process, please see http://lld.llvm.org/#build.

Thanks,
Rui