[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] proposal - pragma section directive in clang

Michael Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 10 02:11:31 PST 2017

Hi All,

We supply both clang and gcc builds in our Crossworks for ARM product
that have command line options to name the default section names used by
the compiler for example

-mtext=.text.libdebugio -mdata=.data.libdebugio -mbss=.bss.libdebugio
-mrodata=.rodata.libdebugio

Without this placing code/data into sections (in the presence of
-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections) is pretty much impossible with
binutils objcopy/ld.

Is it worth considering this as an alternative/addition to #pragmas?
Patch files are available here

http://www.rowley.co.uk/crossworks/gpl_sources.htm

if anyone is interested.

Regards