[llvm-dev] RFC: Generalize means the sanitizers work with memory

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 9 05:58:31 PST 2017

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for posting this; I'm excited by this proposal - if we can get
this kind of support in without making the implementation
non-trivially-harder to maintain, that would be a positive development.
As Sean mentioned, I did something along these lines to adapt ASan to
the IBM BG/Q - an HPC system that uses a lightweight operating system.
On the BG/Q, the lightweight operating system does support virtual
memory for some special-purpose mappings, but it does not support
mapping unreserved pages (i.e. MAP_NORESERVE is not supported, and this
functionality is not supported any other way). As a result, the
mechanism that the sanitizers use to cover the complete address space
using shadow memory - by mapping a large region of unreserved pages -
won't work in this environment. Systems without virtual memory at all
will obviously have the same problem: All shadow memory must be
physically backed. I'll also mention that many normal Linux HPC
environments are configured with overcommit turned off, and I believe
that using the sanitizers in such environments would also currently not
work.

Because all shadow memory must be physically backed, it must be
allocated judicially, and the mapping process might need to be more
complicated than a simple shift/offset. On the BG/Q, there were a few
distinct regions of virtual memory that needed to be mapped into a
single shadow region in the part of the address space where heap
allocations could be made - as a result, I used a more-complicated
mapping function.

In this light, I'm trying to understand your proposal. I see that you're
proposing to add support for some kind of additional translation scheme
between virtual addresses and physical addresses, but I'm not exactly
sure how you propose to use them. It might help if you were to provide
some hypothetical implementation of these translations for a simple
system so that we can understand the usage model better. I'd also like
to better understand how the instrumentation works; if the mapping
always replaced by these __asan_mem_to_vshadow/__asan_mem_to_pshadow calls?

Finally, I recommend that we layer this support so that we have:

[regular system] -> [system without (sufficient) unreserved pages] ->
[system without any mmu]

I'd like a clear explanation of how these last two differ. It looks like
you have support for manually zeroing pages for the last category.
Please explain exactly how this scheme works.

Thanks,

Hal

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility