[llvm-dev] Noisy benchmark results?

Kristof Beyls via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 1 00:22:26 PST 2017

On 1 Mar 2017, at 08:36, Mikael Holmén via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org<mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:

Hi,

Thank you to everyone that responded.

Good hints!

Now, I'm sure that I haven't read every piece of documentation about the test suite, but don't you think the tips and tricks you've responded with here should make into the quick start web page to help the next test-suite newbie that wants to run this and get stable results?

It definitely should.
It's sometimes hard for the non-newbies to figure out what documentation is missing the most, so thank you very much for pointing this out!

I've added some documentation in the patch under review at https://reviews.llvm.org/D30488.
Please have a look and leave your comments. I'll leave the patch in review until the end of the week before committing it.

Thanks,

Kristof

E.g. at
http://llvm.org/docs/lnt/quickstart.html
for the lnt way?

There could be a bullet 3 under "Running Tests" or just some extra proposed flags under "2" to describe a few things one could do if the results bounce around a lot.

Thanks again,
Mikael