[llvm-dev] Any places I could start contributing to?

Brian Gesiak via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 29 13:42:36 PDT 2017

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 11:34 AM, David Blaikie via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Also, from my own experience, bugs are a great place to start - though it
> can be hard to judge which ones are the easy/low hanging fruit.

I recall that at LLVM Developers' Meeting 2016's BoF session "Raising
Next Generation of LLVM Developers," there was some discussion of
adding a "starter" keyword to LLVM Bugzilla. [1] Does anyone know who
has permissions to add such a label to the list?

Anecdotally, I found it very easy to contribute to Apple's Swift
project, thanks to the fact that their JIRA instance at bugs.swift.org
has a "StarterBug" label. As a new contributor, I could narrow my bug
search using this label. Not all of bugs were as easy as the reporter
claimed, but it did help me avoid starting to work on intractable
problems. I think a similar label in LLVM Bugzilla would be great. :)

[1] https://bugs.llvm.org/describekeywords.cgi

- Brian Gesiak