[llvm-dev] RFC: FileEdit utility

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 28 16:20:46 PDT 2017

There were some back and forth comments on the review. To summarize, I'm
strongly in favor of having a tool in-tree that splits files on some
delimiter inside a comment. Chandler is strongly opposed to having test
files that aren't completely valid standalone files as part of the test
suite. For example, a smart editor or IDE would put red squigglies on this
code because it's ill-formed as is:

// RUN: FileEdit %s --res_dir %t
// RUN: clang %t/a.cpp %t/b.cpp -o %t.exe
// FILESPLIT: a.cpp
static int x = 1;
int main() {}
// FILESPLIT: b.cpp
static int x = 2; // error about redefining x

You'd get the same kind of issues with macro redefinitions. I don't see
this as a big problem, and I'd rather keep the test case in one file over
using separate files in %S/Inputs. His proposed alternative is to use
in-language mechanisms when possible. This would mean using the C
preprocessor for C, .if directives for assembler, and llvm-extract for LTO
test cases in IR.

Hopefully I haven't misrepresented Chandler's perspective on this.

Unless someone else comes forward and says they hate having to add small
files to %S/Inputs and they really want a text file splitting utility, I
think we're going to drop this for now. I'm happy enough to hack together
lld test cases with .if.