[llvm-dev] Some questions about software pipeline in LLVM 4.0.0

Ehsan Amiri via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 27 05:56:56 PDT 2017

Hi Brendon

Thanks for the answer. I completely agree with your comments. The main reason that I brought up this issue is the following: Inserting a COPY instruction that cannot be eliminated, means that the loop has an instruction that was not taken into account during modulo scheduling analysis. If we see these kind of copies frequently enough, do you think it is worthwhile to work on the algorithm, so these instructions are predicted and taken into account during the scheduling? Or maybe we already do this and I am not aware of it?

Some other remarks/questions:

IIUC, these kind of copies will be generated even if we implement SMS after register coalescing. Is this correct?

For us, so far we have enabled machine pipeliner for our backend and we see these kind of copy generated frequently for our workloads. Some times multiple copies inserted in a relatively small loop. IIUC, you don't see it frequently though. Is that correct?

Thanks
Ehsan