[llvm-dev] RFC: Cleaning up the Itanium demangler

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 22 09:25:31 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Erik Pilkington <erik.pilkington at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 6/21/17 5:42 PM, Rui Ueyama wrote:
>
> I'm very interested in your work because I've just started writing a
> demangler for the Microsoft mangling scheme. What I found in the current
> Itanium demangler is the same as you -- it looks like it allocates too much
> memory during parsing and concatenates std::strings too often. I could see
> there's a (probably big) room to improve. Demangler's performance is
> sometimes important for LLD, which is my main project, as linkers often
> have to print out a lot of symbols if a verbose output is requested. For
> example, if you link Chrome with the -map option, the linker has to
> demangle 300 MiB strings in total, which currently takes more than 20
> seconds on my machine if single-threaded.
>
> The way I'm trying to implement a MS demangler is the same as you, too.
> I'm trying to create an AST to describe type and then convert it to string.
> I guess that we can use the same AST type between Itanium and MS so that we
> can use the same code for converting ASTs to strings.
>
> Using the same AST is an interesting idea. The AST that I wrote isn't that
> complicated, and is pretty closely tied to the libcxxabi demangler, so I
> bet it would be easier to have separate representations, especially if your
> intending on mimicking the output of MS's demangler. I'm also not at all
> familiar with how MS mangles their C++, which might imply a slightly
> different representation.

I'm not going to immediately try to do it, but I think sharing the same AST
data structure seems to makes sense. I'm not too crazy about mimicking all
the details of the Microsoft's demangler, so a slight deviation is OK as
long as the difference is minor and reasonable. Mangled symbols are very
different between Itanium and Microsoft, but after all the demangled form
is a plain C++ which should be the (almost) same between the two.