[llvm-dev] VC C++ demangler

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 20 10:36:12 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Robinson, Paul <paul.robinson at sony.com>
wrote:

> Just to be clear - once LLVM has its own demangler, it should probably use
> it on all platforms, so there'd be no worry about different behavior
> between LLVM on Windows and LLVM elsewhere.
>
> But that said, it's probably still important/worthwhile to make sure it's
> consistent with the platform demangler.
>

> Personally I would be all for a unit test program that verified against
> the Windows API when run on Windows, and against canned output on
> non-Windows.

That was my preference too, but looks like getting the exact same results
as the Windows API is not that easy nor worthwhile when it comes to
arbitrary formatting rules. For example, IIRC, UnDecorateSymbolName
generates not "int const* const* x" nor "int const * const * x" but "int
const* const * x". This is simply odd, and I'd guess we don't want to mimic
all these corner cases. So mixing our own demangler and the Windows
demangler can cause unnecessary churn.