[llvm-dev] LoopVectorize fails to vectorize loops with induction variables with PtrToInt/IntToPtr conversions

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 19 18:26:29 PDT 2017

Hi, Adrien,

Thanks for reporting this. I recommend that you file a bug report at
https://bugs.llvm.org/

Whenever I see reports of missed optimization opportunities in the face
of ptrtoint/inttoptr, my first question is: why are these instructions
present in the first place? At the IR level, use of inttoptr is highly
discouraged. Our aliasing analysis, for example, does not look through
them, and so you'll generally see a lot of missed optimizations when
they're around.

In this case, inttoptr seems to be introduced by SROA. SROA should not
be introducing inttoptr, but rather should be using GEPs on i8* (at
least), to avoid introducing pointers that our AA can't analyze.

Beyond that, if we need to handle inttoptr/ptrtoint in SCEV, then maybe
there's a way to make it smarter about the expressions with which it can
deal. I'm actually not sure to what "aliasing rules" the comment you
quote below is referring. I can certainly understand not being able to
place "inbounds" on some generated GEPs, but otherwise this seems
non-obvious to me (i.e. either the expander can identify a base pointer
from which to generate the GEP, or it can't, in which case it needs to
generate a inttoptr).

Sanjoy, thoughts?

  -Hal

Hal Finkel