[llvm-dev] [CFI] Manually linking classes that have no inheritance link

Richard Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 19 18:06:47 PDT 2017

I'm extremely concerned by this change.

A sanitizer has found a bug in your code. This is a bug that optimizations
might take advantage of, resulting in your code misbehaving in all sorts of
ways. Examples:

* we can and should use different TBAA keys for different vtable pointer
slots. If we do so, we might in some cases reorder a vptr load (of a
JSComponentMath vptr, for instance) before a ProxyClass vptr store.

* we might generate calls equivalent to dynamic_cast for some speculative
devirtualization purposes, and those may not function properly because the
type_info for ProxyClass does not indicate that it has a (say)
JSComponentMath base class.

* ubsan's vptr sanitizer will (as in, today, this is not speculative)
diagnose all virtual calls you make to a ProxyClass object that has been
cast to JSComponentMath*

* ubsan's function sanitizer will diagnose three of the four virtual calls,
because the function type does not match between caller and callee.

* LLVM will replace your entire 'main' function with an 'unreachable'
instruction due to the calling convention mismatch between the function
call and the devirtualized callee. This happens today if you just add -O2
to the clang command line in your reproducer script.

Making the sanitizer ignore the bug does not solve the problem, it just
hides it for a while.

It seems to me that there are two plausible paths forward:

1) Change Firefox so that it does not do this any more, or at least, not in
a way that a compiler can see through. I would guess the goal here is to
share the member function definitions across a number of class hierarchies;
do you also care about avoiding having a vtable and a type_info object per
class you want to proxy?

2) Get all of your supported implementations to supply a language extension
that guarantees the behaviour you want. But you'll need to enumerate what
behavior you actually want defined here, including things like the calling
convention mismatch and the bogus type info pointer in your vtables.

Given the other problems here, just allowing the CFI checker to pretend
this problem doesn't exist doesn't seem like a valuable use of our time.