[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: ODR checker for Clang and LLD

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 15 10:44:10 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:20 AM Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 1:14 AM, James Henderson <
> jh7370.2008 at my.bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> I agree with Dave here. In the environment I work in, we regularly see
>> users ship objects and static archives to other users, and then never
>> update them, even though the linker moves on. If they did this with an
>> object file that had contents (such as the ODR information) that were later
>> warned about due to older versions being deprecated, the user linking that
>> object would probably get quite annoyed, especially as in such cases, the
>> original producer may no longer be able/willing to update the
>> object/archive.
>>

> I think this issue can be addressed using a combination of documentation
> and a linker flag.
>
> As I mentioned earlier, the ODR checker won't work if the object files
> were built by multiple different versions of Clang, which is because ODR
> hashes are computed from Clang's AST, which can change at any time. You can
> imagine defining ODR hashes so that they can be computed independently of
> the version of clang, or even independently of the compiler (so gcc could
> generate them for example), and I have a few preliminary ideas for how you
> could do that, but I think that should be outside the scope of the first
> implementation.

Ah, right (re: ODR hashes not being stable). That does make me a bit
uncertain about building this feature here in general, to be honest.

How will that be detected to avoid confusing false positives? Including the
SVN revision as part of the ODR names header version number? & only compare
names with matching versions? (or only compare names when the version
matches that in LLD, ignoring all others - that'd really mean clang+lld
would have to be kept in lock-step)