[llvm-dev] the nsw story, revisited

Nuno Lopes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 14 15:13:46 PDT 2017

I guess an important thing to realize is that poison flows throughout the
data-flow graph; it's not something that you can control locally.  Simply
removing nsw from an operation doesn't mean that its result will be
non-poisonous.
Right now there's no way to stop propagation of poison; freeze adds that
functionality.

Imagine you want to hoist an 'add nsw', drop nsw, and then do loop
unswitching (your suggestion):

f(a, b) {
  while (..) {
    if (a +nsw 1 > b) { S } else { T }
  }
}

=>

f(a, b) {
  // drop nsw
  if (a + 1 > b) {
     while (...) S;
  else
     while (...) T;
  }
}

Is this correct? No!  Dropping nsw doesn't give any guarantee.  To see why,
imagine that function f is now inlined in g:
g() {
  f(poison, poison);
}

after inlining:
g() {
  if (poison) ...
}

We've just introduced a branch on poison when the loop condition is false.
Since we've decided to make branch-on-poison UB, the transformation we did
above is incorrect.  Dropping nsw doesn't help. You need a way to stop
poison from being propagated.  LLVM currently doesn't have this mechanism.

Nuno

P.S.: Please fix your address book entry for my email address; a colleague
of mine is receiving your emails not me.