[llvm-dev] RFC: ODR checker for Clang and LLD

Peter Collingbourne via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 7 20:11:22 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 7:59 PM, Rafael Avila de Espindola <
rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter Collingbourne via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to propose an ODR checker feature for Clang and LLD. The feature
> > would be similar to gold's --detect-odr-violations feature, but better:
> we
> > can rely on integration with clang to avoid relying on debug info and to
> > perform more precise matching.
>
> It seems a really nice idea. Do you have performance numbers?

I gave a few perf (and binary size) numbers in my response to Sean.
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2017-June/113865.html

I agree with others that suggested putting the strings in .strtab. For
> -O0 at least it should save many duplicates.

Maybe. As I wrote in my message to Sean it isn't clear exactly how many
duplicates we will have in practice, so it may be better to use a separate
string table and compress it. In any case it does seem to require closer
investigation and maybe more prototyping.

Thanks,
Peter