[llvm-dev] Running lit (googletest) tests remotely

Pavel Labath via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 2 09:12:41 PDT 2017

My plan was to use it on already-running lldb android bots. These run
lldb tests only. They're also currently in "experimental" mode (not
sending emails) because they are not reliable enough (main, but not
only reason is the flakyness of the physical connection to the android
devices). With the new testing strategy, the the connection might not
be stressed so much, so we may actually be able to enable it, but it's
hard to say. In any case, we would be keeping an eye out for the bots,
as we do now.

I've taken a closer look at the existing remote runners suggested in
this thread, and it seems none of them really fit our purpose:
- the one in libc++ only handles the .cpp tests (which are very libc++
specific), and not the (more complicated) ShTest, nor GoogleTest
- the compiler-rt %run substitution seems to be used for running the
tests in an emulator -- for example it would be hard to handle copying
of inputs to the remote machine with a substitution based solution
(and there is no support for that now)
- the one in llvm-testsuite is quite interesting -- it has code which
gains deep understanding of the RUN lines, which should be enough to
modify the sequence of commands to add copy commands to the test
script. However, that does not directly apply to googletest tests and
also is probably a big overkill for them (googletest.py is about 150
LOC, whereas the llvm-testsuite python files are nearly 1k). I am
hoping we can add the remote execution to googletest.py without
significantly increasing it's complexity (a prototype, which did not
handle copying input files was about a 10-line patch).

Therefore, I propose to modify googletest.py, which would add the
ability to run remotely for all gtest-based tests. Right now, we don't
have a need to run ShTests remotely in lldb (we have none), but we may
have soon. If that happens, we can look at porting some of the logic
in llvm-testsuite, so that it is available to other users as well.

How does that sound?

pl