[llvm-dev] Tail merging "undef" with a defined register: wrong code

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 27 11:52:19 PDT 2017

Yes, immediately after branch folding the code would still behave the
same as the original.  At the same time, any subsequent optimization may
"exploit" the incorrect liveness information to do something bad.  If
you add -run-pass if-converter, you'll get:

# After If Converter
# Machine code for function fred: IsSSA, NoPHIs, TracksLiveness, NoVRegs

BB#0:
         PS_storerhabs 0, %R0
         PS_jmpret %R31<kill>, %PC<imp-def>

# End machine code for function fred.

*** Bad machine code: Using an undefined physical register ***
- function:    fred
- basic block: BB#0  (0x411e8e8)
- instruction: %R0<def> = L2_ploadruhf_io
- operand 4:   %R0<imp-use>
LLVM ERROR: Found 1 machine code errors.

-Krzysztof