[llvm-dev] [RFC] Add IR level interprocedural outliner for code size.

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 26 13:41:14 PDT 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:
> The way I interpret Quentin's statement is something like:
>
> - Inlining turns an interprocedural problem into an intraprocedural problem
> - Outlining turns an intraprocedural problem into an interprocedural problem
>
> Insofar as our intraprocedural analyses and transformations are strictly
> more powerful than interprocedural, then there is a precise sense in which
> inlining exposes optimization opportunities while outlining does not.

While I think our intra-proc optimizations are *generally* more
powerful, I don't think they are *always* more powerful.  For
instance, LICM (today) won't hoist full regions but it can hoist
single function calls.  If we can extract out a region into a
readnone+nounwind function call then LICM will hoist it to the
preheader if the safety checks pass.

> Actually, for his internship last summer River wrote a profile-guided
> outliner / partial inliner (it didn't try to do deduplication; so it was
> more like PartialInliner.cpp). IIRC he found that LLVM's interprocedural
> analyses were so bad that there were pretty adverse effects from many of the
> outlining decisions. E.g. if you outline from the left side of a diamond,
> that side basically becomes a black box to most LLVM analyses and forces
> downstream dataflow meet points to give an overly conservative result, even
> though our standard intraprocedural analyses would have happily dug through
> the left side of the diamond if the code had not been outlined.
>
> Also, River's patch (the one in this thread) does parameterized outlining.
> For example, two sequences containing stores can be outlined even if the
> corresponding stores have different pointers. The pointer to be loaded from
> is passed as a parameter to the outlined function. In that sense, the
> outlined function's behavior becomes a conservative approximation of both
> which in principle loses precision.

Can we outline only once we've already done all of these optimizations
that outlining would block?

> I like your EarlyCSE example and it is interesting that combined with
> functionattrs it can make a "cheap" pass get a transformation that an
> "expensive" pass would otherwise be needed. Are there any cases where we
> only have the "cheap" pass and thus the outlining would be essential for our
> optimization pipeline to get the optimization right?
>
> The case that comes to mind for me is cases where we have some cutoff of
> search depth. Reducing a sequence to a single call (+ functionattr
> inference) can essentially summarize the sequence and effectively increase
> search depth, which might give more results. That seems like a bit of a weak
> example though.

I don't know if River's patch outlines entire control flow regions at
a time, but if it does then we could use cheap basic block scanning
analyses for things that would normally require CFG-level analysis.

-- Sanjoy