[llvm-dev] PGO, zlib and 'default.profraw'

Martin J. O'Riordan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 25 01:04:32 PDT 2017

Hi David,

When I use CMake to configure, ‘zlib’ and its header are detected - I build on CentOS 6.5 or CentOS 7.  Since I run CMake from the command-line, I tried added ‘-DLLVM_ENABLE_ZLIB=0’ and ‘-DLLVM_ENABLE_ZLIB=1’ (using ‘-DLLVM_ENABLE_ZLIB=ON’ does not seem to work).  Both ‘clang’ and ‘llvm-profdata’ (and all other tools and utilities) are configured and built together, in any event, they are both built with ‘zlib’ enabled or ‘zlib’ disabled.

On Windows with VS2015 there is no ‘zlib’.

But I think that there is something different causing the problem, possibly in the linking.  When profiling instrumentation is enabled, there are 4 new sections introduced:

__llvm_prf_cnts

__llvm_prf_data

__llvm_prf_names

__llvm_prf_vnds

Since our target is an heterogeneous multi-core embedded system, it requires the use of some elaborate linking techniques, and the LD scripts are carefully crafted for this purpose.  We use ‘ld’ from Binutils v2.28.  However, I do not know what these new sections mean to ‘llvm-profdata’ or how they should be laid out.  I cannot find any reference to these sections in any of the in-tree targets for Binutils or for LLVM-LLD, so there is no guidance or examples on how they should be collated and ordered, or how they should be placed in the memory-map.

What I did is added a very simple line to my existing LD script’s rule for collating ‘.data’ as:

SECTIONS

{

  .data:

    {

      *(__llvm_prf_*)

    }

}

I’m guessing that this is too naïve and simplistic, and that something else is required, but I can’t find any sample LD scripts in either the LLD (v5.0) or Binutils (v2.28) sources.  I was considering replacing the line:

*(__llvm_prf_*)

with:

*(__llvm_prf_cnts)

*(__llvm_prf_data)

*(__llvm_prf_names)

*(__llvm_prf_vnds)

but without knowing what is required, this is still just a wild guess.

Any thoughts or recommendations on how these sections should be linked, and whether they need any special “PROVIDE” declarations?  Or “SORT” clauses?

Thanks,

            MartinO