[llvm-dev] [RFC] Add IR level interprocedural outliner for code size.

River Riddle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 24 14:45:47 PDT 2017

Hi Jessica,
 When we model the cost of an instruction it is largely based upon an
estimation by the TTI. It is still an estimation but the results prove to
be somewhat close to the exact costs. If you are interested in the results
for some known platforms check the "More detailed results" section of the
original RFC. It provides comparisons between the two configurations of
outlining at the IR level as well as the Machine Outliner. It includes
results for X86_64(Linux and Mac) as well as AArch64(The only two platforms
that the Machine Outliner supports). The results tend to be quite favorable
in regards to the cost model.
 As for the tunable heuristic(constants) numbers, these are very similar to
those that the Machine Outliner might have if it was tunable: Minimum
Benefit, Min Occurrences, Min Instruction Length. Those are the only
constants that really exist within the cost model.
 I appreciate all of the feedback and discussion!
Thanks,
River Riddle