[llvm-dev] Advise on which copy to use.

Rodney M. Bates via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 23 14:06:09 PDT 2017

I am generating llvm code for nested procedures.  Each one gets a static link,
which I am passing as an internally added, first parameter.  However, it needs
to be stored in memory too, so a debugger can find it.  So, when I need to use
the value, is it better to use the ssl parameter or load the memory copy?

I can imagine the ssl value might avoid unnecessary fetches, but then, it
might also sometimes result in storage of a second copy in a memory temp.

Also, do I need to do something to prevent the unused copy from being
eliminated altogether?

--
Rodney Bates
rodney.m.bates at acm.org