[llvm-dev] PartialAlias: different start addresses

Nuno Lopes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 14 14:37:48 PDT 2017

Thank you all for your replies.
So here seems to be an agreement that the documentation for PartialAlias is
incorrect.

Daniel: now you got me wondering about MustAlias. This is what the docs say:
"The MustAlias response may only be returned if the two memory objects are
*guaranteed to always start at exactly the same location*"

This statement is regardless of the access sizes.  For example, in SCEV AA:
// If they evaluate to the same expression, it's a MustAlias.
if (AS == BS)
  return MustAlias;

AS/BS are scev expressions for the pointers. So no check for the access
size.

So, does must needs to check for access sizes?  If so, SCEV AA is buggy and
the documentation needs tweaking.

Thanks,
Nuno