[llvm-dev] Building aggregate types with dynamically sized elements

Christer Swahn via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 14 03:19:04 PDT 2017

I would agree that such a capability is a questionable fit for C.

However as others point out I think it depends on the language in question.
In this case the language has runtime information about the array lengths
and enforces the bounds strictly. The language's semantics for these
aggregate, occasionally dynamically sized types I think are good; my
problem is how best to map it onto LLVMs type model.

My concern as I said is about portability and alignment, if I roll my own
type layout and offset computations. Any advice regarding this is much
appreciated!

Thanks