[llvm-dev] Question about thinLTO

Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 13 07:19:03 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:54 AM, Christudasan D <xander.cd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Teresa.
>
> Yes, I would like to save the IR (*.bc and/or *.ll) after all
> optimizations (especially thinLTO) are done and call *llc* separately.
> Is there any specific document available online to see more about this
> feature and various command-line switches that a compiler developer can
> take advantage of?
> It would help us to enable this feature for a custom architecture.

Unfortunately I don't see any documentation online of llvm-lto. I guess the
best bet for now is to look at llvm-lto.cpp, or some of the ThinLTO tests
in the tree that use it with those options. I assume you plan to use the
internal tools just for testing, and eventually hook up your own code
generator to the compiler directly? Which linker do you use? Both gold and
lld have support for ThinLTO and a newer LTO interface that uses linker
resolution information.

Teresa

--
Teresa Johnson |  Software Engineer |  tejohnson at google.com |  408-460-2413