[llvm-dev] GEP with a null pointer base

Keane, Erich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 6 14:58:28 PDT 2017

Responded to this earlier but didn't get llvm-dev on the list:

This is the commit that caused the newest revision of the problem: https://github.com/lattera/glibc/commit/2fd4de4b15a66f821057af90714145d2c034a609

Note that it removes the OLDER version of the problem (__PTR_TO_INT/__INT_TO_PTR).  The interesting part of the old version is the comment:

-/* We use subtraction of (char *) 0 instead of casting to int
-   because on word-addressable machines a simple cast to int
-   may ignore the byte-within-word field of the pointer.  */

I'll note that I tried both the new and old version, and think Clang's emit for this pattern (GEP(i8,nullptr, %SOMETHING)) will correct this issue.