[llvm-dev] Uncovering non-determinism in LLVM - The Next Steps

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 6 12:34:31 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

One of our definitions of non-determinism is simply "output from command
line tools should always be bit identical given identical inputs", which is
suitable for content-based caching build systems like Bazel.

I don't know how our bitcode encoding compares to the textual IR in the
case of your phi example, but assuming that that difference makes it into
the bitcode too, it would cause e.g. ThinLTO bitcode artifacts to violate
the content-based caching assumptions, even if semantically to the compiler
the difference is immaterial. I know that Richard has mentioned in the past
at least for Clang the intention is bit-identical output for bit-identical
input.

-- Sean Silva