[llvm-dev] Should we split llvm Support and ADT?

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 6 09:02:18 PDT 2017

I don't think it's a good idea to try to build the uber-portable, minimal,
standard library. We already have a few of those. They are hard to modify
and improve because they have too many customers with too many
requirements. The sanitizer runtime libraries are complicated enough that
they could also definitely benefit from a minimal LLVM support layer, but I
would hate to have to maintain such a library because they have such
restrictive rules against not having library dependencies.

The important part of StringRef is the idea, not the code. Eventually,
we'll have std::string_view, and the idea will be everywhere.