[llvm-dev] Uncovering non-determinism in LLVM - The Next Steps

Grang, Mandeep Singh via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 5 23:56:10 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Last year I had shared with the community my findings about instances of
non-determinism in llvm codegen. The major source of which was the
iteration of unordered containers resulting in non-deterministic
iteration order. In order to uncover such instances we had introduced
"reverse iteration" of unordered containers (currently only enabled for
SmallPtrSet).
I would now like to take this effort forward and propose to do the
following:

1. We are in the process of setting up an internal nightly buildbot
which would build llvm with the cmake flag -DLLVM_REVERSE_ITERATION:BOOL=ON.
This will make all supported containers iterate in reverse order by
default. We would then run "ninja check-all". Any failing unit test is a
sign of a potential non-determinism.

2. With the toolchain built by the above buildbot we also want to run
LNT tests and our entire internal testing suite. We then want to compare
the objdump for every obj file against the obj file compiled by a
forward/default iteration toolchain. We ideally want to compare rel vs
rel+asserts vs debug with Linux vs Windows toolchains. Any differences
in objdumps could signal a potential non-determinism.

3. Currently reverse iteration is enabled only for SmallPtrSet. I am in
the process of implementing it for more containers. I have already put
up a patch for DenseMap: https://reviews.llvm.org/D35043

4. Simply compiling with -mllvm -reverse-iterate will help us uncover
non-determinism due to iteration order of containers. But once we have
enabled reverse iteration for several containers then pinpointing the
exact container causing the problem would be more tedious. So I propose
to add an optional value field to this flag, like -mllvm
-reverse-iterate=smallptrset -mllvm -reverse-iterate=densemap, etc.

I would like to hear the community's thoughts on these proposals.

Thanks,
Mandeep