[llvm-dev] Should we split llvm Support and ADT?

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 5 19:18:03 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 7:14 PM Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Having watched a similar library go through this exact evolution, I
>> really doubt we want to make any split around "things known to be in C++ in
>> the future"... It turns out that this is nearly impossible to predict and
>> precludes a tremendous amount of useful utilities.
>>
>> For example, there is no indication that the range helpers LLVM provides
>> will ever end up in C++'s standard library, but they certainly seem useful
>> for the demangler (the concrete use case cited).
>>
>> What is the concrete problem with just linking the support library, in
>> all its glory, into the demangler? Why *shouldn't* we do that? I feel like
>> that has gotten lost (for me)....
>>

> I think it's for reuse in low-level libraries (e.g. libcxxabi).

Ok, but the challenges there seem substantially larger:

1) We have to fix the licensing thing (we're working on that, but it's not
going to be instantaneous).

2) We would have to somehow "sandbox" every symbol linked into this library
so that when libcxxabi itself is linked with some slightly different
version of LLVM than it was built with things don't explode.

If we solve #1 and #2 at all, running the appropriate build steps to strip
*any* unused part of the big Support library out to minimize the runtime
library cost seems pretty easy. And then we can use the entire Support
library, no need to split.

So I'm wondering what the *splitting* is solving I guess?