[llvm-dev] Should we split llvm Support and ADT?

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 5 17:07:35 PDT 2017

Re-writing StringRef / ArrayRef etc to use the exact same API is a good
idea long term, but there's a lot of ugly messy details that need to be
dealt with.  There's thousands of uses of take_front / drop_front, etc that
have to be converted.  Then there's some methods that aren't in string_view
at all, like consume_integer(), consume_front(), etc that would have to be
raised up to global functions in StringExtras.  All of this can certainly
be done, but it's going to be a *ton* of churn and hours spent to get it
all STL-ified.

Do you consider this a blocker for doing such a split?  Would it make sense
to do it incrementally where we first just move StringRef et all wholesale,
and then incrementally work to STL-ify the interface?