[llvm-dev] Definitive list of optimisations at each optimisation level

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 4 12:47:48 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 3:49 AM, Martin J. O'Riordan <
martin.oriordan at movidius.com> wrote:

> Thanks Sean,
>

> My apologies for previously writing “Thanks Sean and Silva”, I intended
> “Thanks Sean and Ryan” - duh! - sleep deprived having just flown to the USA.
>

> The dump is very enlightening for me, and very large - I hadn’t realised
> that there were quite so many passes.  At ‘-O0’ there are ~70 passes, but
> at ‘-O1’ it jumps to ~310 passes, and then ~340 passes at ‘-O2’ and ‘-O3’.
> I will have to carefully study these passes to see what optimisations they
> perform (if any), though there are the obvious ones too.
>

> One thing I observed, is that there are some passes that report:
>

> Unnamed pass: implement Pass::getPassName()
>

> This always appears after the final Target ‘AsmPrinter’ pass (“SHAVE
> Assembly Printer” in our case) and appears to be from the ‘FPPassManager’,
> while the other happens after ‘Global Variable Optimizer’ for optimisation
> levels of ‘-O1’ and higher and this seems to be the from the ‘
> MPPassManager’.  I am using the release LLVM v4.0 sources, not the head
> revision.  I guess these are noise and can be ignored.

I remember running into these before. I forget exactly what we ended up
discovering they were but I remember that it wasn't remarkable. Vaguely
remembering, I think the GlobalOpt one was something related to it
accessing function AA results or something like that. The reason it didn't
have a name is that it goes through some sort of adapter thing which
doesn't implement getPassName.

-- Sean Silva